Friday, February 3, 2012

Susan G. Komen's Problems just Starting

The Susan G. Komen's (SGK) decision to stop funding Planned Parenthood (PP) because they are under federal investigation was consistent according to their funding rules.  Organizations are required by donors to maintain standards and Planned Parenthood fails under those standards.  Unfortunately, they have reversed that decision.  But they didn't only reverse it, they reversed it quick and succumbed to intense pressure from this one group.

So what does this mean?  Frankly, expect to see SGK put under more pressure by PP and other liberal organizations to increase their funding of liberal causes.  Because they folded so quick, they have shown that they are easily swayed and have little backbone to pressure or attempted "bad" publicity.

Frankly, I'm no fan of SGK.  I think that they have taken the breast cancer awareness to such a level that they have supplanted awareness of breast cancer to awareness of their organization.  They are kind of a bully in the breast cancer arena.  My mother is currently recovering from her latest surgery for breast cancer (second mastectomy).  So over the last 17 years, I've been personally sensitive to breast cancer.

I was amazed and thrilled by the original decision by SGK.  It was the first thing that I've heard from them that made me think that they are actually concerned about issues.  (Don't forget the medically proven link between abortions and breast cancer.)  But with the reversal, I'm truly disappointed (again) in this organization.  However, my feelings aside, I've seen over many years that aggressive groups prey upon weaker ones, and SGK just proved how weak they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment